How to Improve Running Speed and Stamina

Grant Swanson, Journalist

Hello students of South High school”.” Today I am going to be telling you about the correct way to run to improve your  speed and stamina while running.

To start off I would like to talk about improving upon speed. please keep in mind that this is only useful for short distances. I would also like to give a big shout out to the Track and Field coach Whimbush for providing such great information on the best  way to run when sprinting. With that let us begin One of the most important things about sprinting is the start. When you first start running you want to begin with a ton of speed and power. The best way to do this is with the correct starting position. To get into the starting position, place both hands just behind the starting line. It is important to stay on your fingers and make sure your palm is not touching the ground. Next is the position of your legs. It is up to you which leg is in front and which is in the back. I suggest trying both and seeing which feels better to you. Now that you have decided, pull your front leg to your chest with your other knee to the ground.

Now that you are in the correct position you are ready to start. When you take your first steps it is important to stay low to the ground the reason being that it takes too much time and energy to immediately stand up and run. As you continue to move forward you must focus on 2 things: the position of your arms that the way you are running. First, when running make sure that your arms are not moving diagonal across your body this will throw off your momentum. Instead focus on moving them parallel to each other at either side of your body and make sure that you are not clenching your fist. Second make sure that when you are sprinting make sure the leg in front of you comes up to a 85 degree angle and make sure to not step too far ahead otherwise you will be through balance.

Next I would like to talk about improving stamina while running. For this I would like to shout out the cross country coaches Lex Williams, Cortney Sullovan, and Sadie May. During the cross country season sadie May provided us with this great advice. “The most important thing you can remember about increasing your stamina is landing on your mid foot. This may not sound important however this will allow better balance and believe it or not allow you to run farther and faster.” Aside from that the best way to increase your stamina is to get out there and constantly run. You may not notice a significant change at first however things will start to change.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope it was helpful to you and I hope you may be able to use it in the future.