5 Things to do for Valentine’s Day

Juliana Martinez, Journalist

Valentine’s day is just around the corner and whether you love it or hate it, there are many things you can do to get out of the house and celebrate safely. Every year people dread the holiday simply because they do not have a significant other to share it with. Although Valentine’s day is meant for couples, it can be a fun excuse to get together with friends that you care about! There are multiple activities that are safe and enjoyable that you can do.

One of the fun things people can do is planning a picnic! I think many people forget how fun and easy picnics are. A way to organize this would be to either go to the store beforehand and pick out food that you and another person/people would enjoy to eat. You could also buy take-out or go to a fast food place if you wanted to. The materials it would require would be, a blanket to sit on, food, a way to get to the location, and a park of your choice! Sometimes parks even have tables for the public to use. Since this is an outside activity, it is safer than being inside and you can still socially distance if you are worried about COVID, and you could also meet up at your destination if it makes it easier for both parties. Washington Park is a good location for this activity and it is right by South High School. 

Another option would be to bake something! If you like to bake, this could be a fun excuse to make some tasty treats. Whether you are making brownies or chocolate covered strawberries, this is an inexpensive way to stay inside while still having an activity to do. If you prefer to stay inside with either a friend or significant other, baking would be the way to go. In order to organize this activity, you would need to buy the materials that you need. If you are going for chocolate covered strawberries, a lot of grocery stores have a meltable chocolate that hardens. If you would like to bake something such as brownies or a cake, you can get the ingredients necessary and use a recipe or you can get a box that already has most of the ingredients inside. This activity is a fun way to stay home while still getting to do something out of the ordinary!

Arcade’s have also been put to the side since COVID started. Not many people have been going to them so it could still be a safe and fun thing to do! While it depends on the person, you can spend as much or as little as you want. Sometimes arcades can be expensive, but when it is two or three people, the costs can stay pretty low. Round 1 is a fun arcade located at Southwest Plaza and as long as you wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer, it will be a fun and unforgettable experience that you will want to keep doing. The time spent there is all dependent on you and there are no limits or expectations. 

Another activity that people forget about is painting. If you aren’t that good at painting, it is okay! The reason for this activity is to have fun and mess around while having an object that will remind you of it forever. Also, the opportunity of what to paint is endless! You can paint whatever comes to mind, big or small. For this activity you will need canvases to paint on and of course, paint and paint brushes! You can get these at most stores. Michaels Craft store, Target, and Walmart have all these supplies and they aren’t very expensive. It is also easy to split it up. One person could buy the paint and the other could buy canvases and brushes. When you get all the materials, you can paint pretty much anywhere. Some places would include a park, in a car, or at home. Painting is an activity that gives you the ability to remember it forever, because whatever you paint will be on the canvas and you can hang it up or give it to someone!

Finally, a more relaxed but still fun activity would be a movie night. If you are only able to do something in the afternoon or at night, this would be a good option. All you need is a place to watch a movie and probably some snacks! This could be the least expensive option because any convenience or grocery store would offer the snacks and most people have a TV or computer to watch movies on. Netflix has a lot of interesting movies that you can choose from. There are many options of movies from comedies, action movies, or romantic movies. This relaxing night will bring more joy than you would expect, sometimes being present with the person is all you need!

All of these activities are ones people can do with friends. Valentine’s day doesn’t have to be about couples, it is about the love we carry for our close ones. Whether you are spending this day with close friends or your significant other, there is no reason you shouldn’t be able to enjoy it!