Standardized Tests Do Not Predict Intelligence

Hanan Negash, Journalist

Standardized tests are supposed to be a general measure of intelligence, however, intelligence shouldn’t be measured by how you score on a test. Intelligence should be measured by how a person is able to solve real-world problems and the skills they have. 

There are many factors that can impact a student’s test score negatively:  stress, lack of language skills, test anxiety and lack of motivation. Additionally, standardized tests do not test every field of education or a field a student is best at, which makes the test inaccurate.

Every year when a student takes a standardized test like the SAT or ACT there is hardly any improvement from the past year. Prior to standardized tests, teachers bury their students with homework, and information to study that will appear on the test; which most of the time is completely different. Students end up studying for hours and still fail on the test. If a student studies for hours a week before a standardized test, their scores would be low because they wouldn’t remember what they studied a week ago. Also, students know they’ll hardly ever use what they learned from the test in real-life scenarios, therefore students lack the motivation to even try. 

There are many reasons why a student’s performance is low, the biggest being anxiety and stress. Students with anxiety might have a problem with answering the test, not because they don’t know the answer to the test but because they aren’t comfortable sharing what they have learned. When a student is under a lot of stress, they cannot perform their best. “Standardized tests are based on your knowledge of math, science, history, and English. Intelligence is more of the way you internet with your brain using high-end skills that these tests don’t show. If a student was tested on English, this just shows how well they can comprehend what they are reading, it isn’t showing how they can take this reading and connect it with real-life issues. Intelligence is more of your brain and the world around you.” Fahamo Ali, a south high school student, exclaimed. 

Standardized tests are all the same for English and non-english speaking. This makes it hard for non-english speaking students to perform well on the test. “Standardized tests cannot measure intelligence effectively if the student does not understand questions because of a language barrier.” Commented Sofia Ershova, journalist, in The Standbox News. To make the standardized test more accurate; non-english speaking students should have a different test that they can understand. 

Every student is different, with their own skill. Therefore, not every student will excel at the same exact text. Every student is an individual and can’t be treated as a whole. A standardized test cannot accurately measure the intelligence and performance of a student.