Bring Back Sex Ed

Creator%3A+designer491

Creator: designer491

Hanan Negash, Journalist

Sex education courses should be mandatory in high school. Three in ten American teens get pregnant at least once before the age of 20. That’s nearly 750,000 teen pregnancies every year. If students were educated about the effects on their lives, it would reduce the chances of teen pregnancy. Also, if teenagers had knowledge about sex, they would be more careful and have a lower chance of contracting an STD. Primarily, teenagers have sex because they are curious. “It is important to learn about sex because no matter what you say teenagers are going to have it and they need to be able to do it safely.” An anonymous, south high school student said. Students lack knowledge when it comes to sexual activities; this is because they haven’t been taught about it. Although when young adults know about the consequences and risks that come with being sexually active they are less likely to want to have sex. 

Sex education is not only focused on how to have sex. It also focuses on values, how to make better decisions, emotions, gender identity, sexual feelings, options like birth control, and it’s helpful for young people to learn about their bodies. It also presents abstinence, delaying first sex, limiting the number of partners, and safer sex. “These types of classes can teach them the importance and at least give them the ability to have it safely and know they have a support system or somewhere they can go.” Mia Damon, a Denver teen said. This can help young adults develop healthier relationships, hold back sexual initiation; decrease teen pregnancies, HIV, and other STDs. 

Birth control is used to avoid pregnancies. There are many methods of birth control including condoms, IUDs, birth control pills, the rhythm method, vasectomy, tubal ligations, and many more. These types of choices can be explained in-depth in sex education courses: it can help female students learn the type of options they have.

Learning how to properly use a condom helps prevent pregnancy and STDs. No one is born knowing how to properly use condoms; they have to learn about it. Condoms are the only method of birth control that prevents pregnancies and the spread of sexual diseases. Even if you are using a different method of birth control, only condoms can protect you from STDs. You can also protect yourself from sexual disease by reducing the number of people you have sex with.

Studies have shown that sex education classes have been effective in many positive ways like:

• Not having sex until they are older
  • Having protective sex and using a condom
  • Having sex less frequently
  • Reducing the number of sexual partners
  • Improves their well being and academic performances(they can focus more on school and not other things)

The goal of sex education classes is to address multiple sexual psychosocial risks and protective factors affecting sexual risk behaviors. It also focuses on how to prevent sexual diseases: STDs, HIV, and pregnancies. Teens are less likely to talk about these types of topics with their parents or friends, so it is essential that they have an understanding of what they are by being educated in schools like regular classes.  Some parents are against sex-ed courses because they believe they are going to be misled. Some parents believe that these types of classes are inappropriate since they talked about “sex” yet others might think it’s helpful and important. Even though parents care about their students learning they shouldn’t have a say in whether their child should or shouldn’t attend a sex education course.

Sex Ed courses should be added in our school systems. Students need to attend this class at least once in their years of high school. It shouldn’t be an option, it should be a mandatory class like any other core class.