Poll Shows Students Prefer In-Person VS Online School

Eleanor Thorman, Journalist

Coronavirus has changed nearly everything within our day to day lives, bringing about unemployment rates that have been unseen since the Great Depression. These changes have affected nearly every family across the globe.  How have teenagers been coping with the pandemic? Have most been following the pandemic guidelines, or have they been risking physical health in order to preserve mental health? 

The World Health Organization was quoted at the beginning of the pandemic as saying “Epidemics are a stress test for a system.. the issue is how much resilience is built into those systems.’’ Although this has since transcended past an epidemic, the quote remains the same – the outcome of the peoples reactions to the severity of this pandemic is what is ultimately telling to the final result. 

For some, the resilience built from being able to wait it out comes at deep personal cost to themselves. Within this article, we will be summarizing how some students have been conducting themselves over the course of the pandemic and a rough estimate of how people have been affected during this time. This survey was taken over the course of 24 hours from October 23rd to the 24th and over 200 people participated. 

Over an instagram poll of students, 73% of participants said that they preferred in person school over online. 

• 77% of students also tallied that their mental health over the course of quarantine had been drastically affected. 
  • Only 76% of those who answered said that they had upheld the quarantine guidelines 
  • 67% of people said that being alone for long periods of time caused them significant amounts of stress 
  • And 93% of people said that seeing non-family members positively affected them. 

These results only show a small percentage of students, yet it is very important to get firsthand information about how students feel about the pandemic. Most students want to go back to school in person, and this is most likely due to the isolating effects of quarantining for long periods of time. Those who suffer from dissociative thoughts and other mental health issues might feel the severity of thoughts and mood swings increase as they are forced to communicate primarily on screen.  

With this information in mind, what happens when you feel as though you don’t have something to ground you? Start simply. Working towards getting out of your comfort zone is one of the best things you can do. Although it seems difficult, one of the most helpful ways to stop ‘quarantine blues’ is to find something that changes the general schedule of your routine. Picking up new sports or hobbies is a good way of channeling energy into something positive, as well as getting adequate time outside and away from screens. In this time, it is important to remind yourself that there can still be beginnings. Within what feels like a standstill in time, you must work to remind yourself that there is more to come and that new opportunities can present 

themselves to you.