Christmas Movies

Christmas+Movies

Bailey Langhans, Journalist

If you celebrate Christmas, it is always nice to curl up in a soft blanket with your family and watch a classic Christmas movie during the holidays. Here is a list of the top 10 classic Christmas movies according to South’s students.

#5: Polar Express

The Polar Express is a beautiful film to show the power of faith and belief. It reveals that seeing isn’t truly believing. Catherine Yow commented, “Watching the Polar Express makes me feel nostalgic about the times in elementary school when a teacher would put Polar Express on the projector and serve us hot cocoa while we all had our blankets.” This classic film allows us to reflect on childhood and embrace the Christmas spirit.

#4: Christmas Vacation

Christmas Vacation is a fun family movie with hilarious Christmas problems that the Griswold family must overcome. During the movie, everything starts to go downhill. Kennedy says “Christmas Vacation is relatable and reminds me of my family.” The movie ends happily when everyone is together and is reminded of the importance of family no matter how different you are. 

#3: The Grinch

The Grinch is a Dr. Seuss classic that has been made both into an animation and into multiple live-action films. The story has fun characters and colors that are perfect for kids. It also teaches the lesson that Christmas is about spending time with each other, not about the presents or decorations. One student said, “I love The Grinch because I grew up watching it every Christmas. The message is so good and the songs always hold a special place in my heart during Christmas time!.”

#2: Elf

Elf is a humorous film about a human who grew up as an elf and is trying to find his biological father. Another student stated, “I like Elf because it was a tradition with my family to watch it around Christmas, so it always makes me think of my family. Also, it’s really funny.” This movie reminds the audience of how people can be different, the importance of family, having Christmas cheer and of course singing loud for all to hear.

#1: Home Alone

Home Alone is a timeless classic that can bring the family together to laugh at jokes and learn the meaning of Christmas. In the movie, Kevin uses creative methods to defend his house from the burglars. By the end of the scene, the humor and tricks leave everyone laughing. Lilly Perez said, “I like Home Alone because I used to watch it a lot when I was a kid and thought that it was really funny back then.” The movie also allows people to reflect on their childhood wishes and think about all the fun things you would do if you were home alone. However, it also teaches everyone important lessons such as the effect of random acts of kindness, not to judge a book by its cover, and the value of family especially on Christmas. There is no doubt that this movie should be voted number one!

So if you haven’t watched any of these movies make sure that you do! Remember that Christmas is not about material things but is about spending time with family and giving to others. “Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal!”