Monet Exhibit at the Denver Art Museum

Catherine Yow, Journalist

The Denver Art Museum has a new exhibit, “Claude Monet: The Truth of Nature”. This exhibit is the largest showing of Monet’s art in over 20 years, showcasing over 120 paintings. The exhibit opened October 21st, and will leave February 2nd: also, tickets are only five dollars for students, so get your tickets soon! 

Claude Monet was born in Paris, but traveled all of Europe throughout his life and career. Monet spent his whole career looking for the feelings of nature, he would choose places that inspire him rather than let inspiration find him; moreover, he never painted from memory, only on sight, with the purpose of only capturing a landscapes true essence in his paintings. The painting, “Boulevard des Capucines (1874)” was what really started Monet’s career as an influential painter. This painting was mocked by artist across Europe for being imprecise and fueled with foggy images. However, this is what we now refer to as “Impression painting”; for this reason, Monet is seen as one of the most impressive artists of all time, creating an entirely new form of art. He would sit by his window everyday and paint, with the intent to only capture what mattered: that is the purple color of a woman’s hat, or the grey of the sky. In Monet’s eyes, being precise in his strokes was not what made paintings art.

Once Monet moved to Germany, his art began to reflect how he started to focus on elements more than anything else. He believed that white was the most complex color, and would sometimes create whole painting with it. 

“Wet rocks look that much darker, but perhaps it adds to the beauty of it. I have to make tremendous efforts to…express the sinister and fragile quality of the place” – Claude Monet. Monet was driven to the sea, notably, the way the waves crashed into the rocks. He believed that to fully understand the sea, one must watch it constantly. Money characterized all the landscapes he studied, and even referred to the sea as a “hag”. He loved the ocean so much, that he’d wanted to be buried in a buoy when he passed.

Monet was an amazing artist, and I hope that you attend this gallery and experience as much culture in the world as possible. After all, its only 5 dollars.