Denver South Culture Fest 2019

May 8, 2019

Every year, South High holds an event called culture fest. On Friday, April 17th, students performed different dances, songs, and other traditions to represent their culture. Culture fest is a great way for the South High community to learn more about each other and become a closer, more tight-knit community. This event is very important to many people– both students and staff– here at South. It gives them away to express their identity that may not be recognized in the classroom otherwise. South High is known for its diversity, and culture fest is a great opportunity for its members to embrace and celebrate their differences.

Ms. Zatorski, an English teacher here at South has been in charge of coordinating culture fest for several years now. She is in charge of all of the different acts, the set list, rehearsal times, and almost everything you can imagine that helps run culture fest. Although it is a very difficult process, the end product is always the most rewarding.  “The day of the show is such a high” Ms. Zatorski says. For everybody involved in putting culture fest together, seeing the final product being performed in front of the whole school is a very rewarding feeling. “The kids are the best part,” Zatorski states. “Seeing the kids do what they’re into and what they’re passionate about is the best.” As expected, culture fest 2019 was just as amazing as the year before. The students and staff never fail to put on an amazing show for their audience.

For many, school events are seen as something you are forced to go to; you sit in a giant box full of gross, sweaty kids and watch a performance that you have little to no interest in. Not at culture fest. Culture fest is one of the most exciting events of the school year. Each performance tries to capture the audience’s attention. Whether it’s religion, culture, or even just a friend performing, almost all of the students at South are able to connect to at least one act in the show. Jorge Hernandez, a senior here at South and a former culture fest performer had lots of praise for this year’s culture fest performances. “It’s hard to pick a favorite part of the show,” Hernandez states. “The dances from Ethiopia always bring me joy, Black Student Alliance always shocks me.” For many, culture fest is one of the best days of the school year. Seeing everybody walk around in the clothing that traditionally represents their culture brings a sense of celebration and community to the school.

Often times, we tend to forget about one another’s different cultures and beliefs, which are a very large part of who we are as human beings. In a place where “the world gathers to excel,” it is very important to remember the different cultures that make up Denver South. Culture fest is just one outlet for students and staff alike to come together and celebrate each other through dancing, music, and food. Culture fest is a tradition that will foreseeably be held far into the future. As a senior, this has sadly been my last year experiencing this tradition, but I am glad to know this will not be its last year being held at south.