Back to Article
Back to Article

The case for gas-powered cars

Alexander Migl

Alexander Migl

Alexander Migl

The case for gas-powered cars

May 7, 2019

Recently it had been reported that we have 135 months before the earth starts to collapse. This is according to comedian Lee Camp, so take as much as you want about climate from a comedian. That is about 11 years and 3 months or August of 2030 if you want to mark your calendar. Much of this issue has been pointed to being the fault of the car because of the CO2 that is produced by the engine. The global temperature is rising undeniably for the past couple years due to pollution to greenhouse pollution that cars produce.

The case for the gas-powered car looks like one destined to fail as new electric cars are being produced and companies have stopped spending money on gas-powered engines. This is due to the appeal of the electric cars, as people want to help the environment — operating costs are also low as electric is cheaper than gas. The government offers tax breaks back on electric cars as well to increase the want to buy.  

But electric cars have a couple of faults that are frustrating: the cars don’t have much range, and you can only go 200 miles in between charges. Most of the maximum estimates are done with amenities such as climate and radio off to save as much charge as possible. The cars aren’t very good for road trips, but they can get you to the golf course and back. The other issue I find with electric cars is that they aren’t fun to drive; they make no sound and often if the radio is off you can only hear the sound of air going over the windshield. This might not bother someone who doesn’t like cars that much as it’s just one rev when starting the engine, but Audi also sees this as an issue: in the most recent Avengers movie the promotes there E-Tron and all-electric midsize they added a fake revving of the engine.

Not to rain on the eco-warriors parade, but it was discovered that the Toyota Prius does more environmental damage in the long run than it can ever undo. Hilke Fischer, Dave Keating of DW.com write “If e-cars are running on electricity produced by burning dirty fossil fuels, climate benefits are limited. Because of the complex batteries they use, it currently takes more energy to produce an electric car than a conventional one. And, disposing of those batteries creates an environmental hazard.” Getting electricity for cars is harmful to the environment and still fails to have a better environmental impact than normal cars as power is still coming from the same source.

The question remains: is the electric car better than a gas-powered one? I’d have to say no. The new electric cars are cool: the Rimac CTWO and the Tesla Roadster look to be two of the fastest cars ever made. But if you’re looking to buy an electric car because of the changing environment, you won’t be erasing the small dent you’ve made, you’d be making it bigger.

if you’d like to the read the article mentioned you can find it here