T H E G A R G O Y L E

Women Presidential Nominees 2020

Miki Rosenberg, Journalist

Already, six women have are running for the democratic presidential nominee – a big change from 2016’s two women. Although the 2020 elections seem like a long way away, they are coming up closer than you may think. Here are the six women running thus far:

Tulsi Gabbard:

She has been an American Politician serving as a US representative for Hawaii’s 2nd congressional district since 2013. Tulsi Gabbard is the first Samoah-American and Hindu member of US congress, also, the youngest congresswoman to be elected to a US state legislative.  She served as a medical unit in the Hawaii Army National Guard in combat zone in Iraq from 2004-2005. In the years 2008-2009 she was deployed in Kuwait. Tulsi Gabbard was also a vice chair of the Democratic National Committee until 2016, when she resigned to endorse Bernie Sanders. She supports abortion rights, medicare for all, same sex marriage, and she opposed the Trans- Pacific Partnership.

Kristin Gillibrand:

Kirstin Gillibrand is the US former congresswoman of New York. She worked on Hillary Clinton’s 2000 US Senate campaign. She was elected to the US house of representatives in 2006. Kristin Gillibrand has been outspoken on sexual assault in the military as well as sexual harassment. She supports paid family leave, federal jobs guarantee, and abolition or replacement of US immigration and enforcement.

Kamala Harris:

Harris the Senator of California and the former attorney general of California. She was the 27th district attorney of San Francisco from 2004-2011. She was elected attorney general in 2010 and 2014. Kamala Harris previously served as the 32nd Attorney general from California in 2011-2017. In 2017 she served as the junior US Senator from California. She supports medicare for all, legalization of recreational marijuana, sanctuary cities, passing the DREAM act, lowering taxes for working and middle class and raising the top 1% of wealthy Americans taxes.

Amy Klobuchar:

Amy Klobuchar is a former Minnesota, Hennepin county attorney and is a Senator from Minnesota. She is a member of Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party. She was elected to US senate in 2006, and was the first elected female senator in Minnesota. She was reelected in 2012 and 2018. She supports expanding medicare to at least 55, LGBT+ rights, she believes abortion is a woman’s choice, Cut greenhouse emissions and rejoin Paris climate deal, more temporary work visas and not abolish ice and to keep presence in Syria.

Elizabeth Warren:

Warren is a former Harvard professor and and Senator of Massachusetts since 2013. She was a formerly prominent scholar specializing in bankruptcy law. She wants to make public college free, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, supports the medicare for all bill and renegotiating NAFTA, and thinks the US should remove troops from Iraq and Syria.

Marianne Williamson:

Williamson a American author, lecturer, entrepreneur and spiritual leader. She has written 12 books. Marianne Williamson ran unsuccessfully for a seat in California’s 33rd Congressional district. Supports the green new deal and medicare for all, thinks public college should be free, supports DACA and the Israel-Palestine Peace process.