T H E G A R G O Y L E

South’s Vending Machines

Back to Article
Back to Article

South’s Vending Machines

Ellie Swigle, Journalist

On the last day of finals before break, while walking to my locker I noticed that the vending machines had been removed from the spot where they had been. I assumed it was to clean the floors over break and that they would be returned when students came back from winter break. However, they weren’t. It wasn’t until today that I heard someone mention that they were gone for good and I wanted to see if this was true.

I decided to find out why. After learning more from the South Community, I realized that the vending machines are gone because our schools contract with the vending machine company ran out. As it turns out, the disappearance of vending machines has nothing to do with a cut back on unhealthy foods. In fact, 98% of high schools in the United States have vending machines in them. They are great ways to keep up students energy throughout the day and make schools a good amount of proceeds; on average a public school makes a profit of 6,000 to 10,000 dollars per year. Yet another plus to vending machines is that the district mandates extremely strict regulations for what can be sold. Appendix V4 is eight pages of the school code that specifically focus on the regulations of school meals, snacks, and beverages.

I interviewed some students about their thoughts on the temporary absence of the vending machines. I asked three questions to various students: did you use the vending machines often?; Are you looking forward to them coming back after the contract is renewed?; And what snacks would you like to see added to our vending machines? While some students were a bit more indifferent to the subject, like my friend Julia who answered the first question with “No I did not use them often.” However she did say that “When they come back [she] would like Takis.” A second student answered “no” to the first two questions but did say that she wanted “Candy, like skittles and Chocolate.” One student that I interviewed said that she used the vending machines, “All the time.” She is ecstatic for them to return to the halls so she can grab a quick healthy snack whenever she feels hungry. Although I got some mixed reactions to the vending machines leaving, I think that a good amount of students should be happy to see them return, while others, may not care all that much. Either way Vending Machines help out many hungry students and over all help the school earn a little extra money.