Advice to Freshmen & Sophomores

Back to Article
Back to Article

Advice to Freshmen & Sophomores

Maddie Bishop, Journalist

Are you an underclassmen looking for some tips on school? I asked some juniors and seniors for tips and advice on what they think underclassmen need to know.

Tony Figueroa a Junior at south who is in Jazz band says “Enjoy being free.”

Bella Yow a Junior at south high who is in theater and choir says to the underclassmen “Learn from the upperclassmen about how they’ve gotten where they are.”

Leah Bradshaw, a junior at South High, an artist says to the underclassmen, “ Make sure you do your work and stay caught up, if you have a dream follow it.”

Justin Newbie a junior who plays varsity football says to underclassmen, “ Don’t be a dumb***”

Jocelyn Padilla a junior at South, and the leader of two clubs and a writing center tutor says, “Don’t take school too seriously, don’t let it consume your life but don’t mess around too much, find a balance.”

Cory Sapienza a senior at South High, who is in theater and choir says to underclassmen, “Stop copying what other people are doing. Sounds really lame but honestly it’ll just make your life worse in every way. If you’re constantly comparing yourself to others and trying to be like them then not only do you look like you’re a clone, but you won’t be happy with yourself either. You have to just let your own personality come out. Let yourself be you, even if it starts with something as small as wearing a different pair of earrings. If you are not happy with the person you are putting out in the world, you won’t be happy with what you get back.”  

Ruby Rodriguez a junior at South and acting in the spring musical says “ Don’t waste your time on petty stuff and look forward to the good things.”

My personal advice would simply be “stay true to yourself and learn from your mistakes.”