T H E G A R G O Y L E

Tumblr’s “Log Off”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tumblr’s “Log Off”

jocelyn Pidilla, Journalist

The Commencement of Tumblr’s “Log Off”

Popular social media platform, Tumblr, has been in hot water after the announcement of the drastic change regarding their terms of service. The allure of websites like Tumblr was the inclusivity of all forms of media, content under and over 18 allowed for all to share, along with their other content uploaded and reposted by users. However, after the discovery of illegal 18+ content on the website, Tumblr made the executive decision to ban all 18+ content instead of addressing individual problems regarding that side of the platform.

In recent dissections of traffic to the website, it’s been reported that nearly ¼ of Tumblr’s users actively run adult blogs and browse that type of content on the site. Many users report feeling “accepted. Tumblr was a site where I could share and like and upload all I wanted without persecution.” This acceptance, however, would not last long.

Uploaded by Tumblr Staff, Tumblr’s statement addressing their change in terms of service after the app’s removal from the Apple Store, was called “A Better, More Positive Tumblr.” The changes to the term of service which in particular targeted 18+ orientated posts was said to take place on the 17th of December, which so happened to be the International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers.

Users had a lot to say about the change, a “Log-Off” commencing for 24 hours in protest of the new terms of service. In regards to the protest, the user who organized the “Log-Off”, dbdspirit said:

“To protest, log off of your Tumblr account for the entirety of December 17th. Log off at 12 am EST or 9PM PST and stay off for 24 hours. Don’t post. Don’t log on. Don’t even visit the website. Don’t give them that sweet ad revenue.” This protest will be underway on the 17th, and will continue until the following day in protest of the unfair terms of service change, which has in the past weeks resulted in the banning of blogs and unrightful flagging of safe for work posts.

In the words of dbdspirit:

“This ban is discriminatory. This ban is ineffective. This ban is unacceptable.”