Youth Olympics

If you’re a fan of the Olympics or happen to live in South America, you might have noticed the summer Youth Olympics started on October 6th, 2018 and will end on the 18th. This year the Youth Olympics are in Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. If you want to watch this event, there is no way you could miss it. The Youth Olympic games are streamed live on YouTube the whole duration of the games. The Youth Olympics are an elite sporting event for young people around the world. The purpose of the event is to develop athletes through the Olympic values and promoting sport as an educational tool. The games happen every four years, and next year they will be held in Switzerland. The program is very similar to the actual Olympics with a few changes.

Athletes participating range from ages 14-18 and can participate in 32 different sports. However, this year there were some new events added: roller sport, dance, karate, and sport climbing. Over 4000 teenagers will be representing around 200 National Olympic Committees in the Argentinean capital. The United States team had 86 athletes competing in 22 different sports. The team had a total of 18 medals, with 6 Gold, 5 Silver and 8 Bronze.

Buenos Aires 2018, will be the first gender-balanced Olympic event, this means there will be an equal number of male and female athletes. At the games, you won’t just find athletes. You also will find young reporters, ambassadors and athlete role models on standby to ensure that the Olympic spirit is extended far beyond the competition. The Youth Olympics are centered around trying to show how sports and physical activity can be used as education.

Overall, The Youth Olympics are a great event that gives athletes the opportunity to make it to the actual Olympics and gives them a chance at a life as a professional athlete. The games not only inspire the competing athletes to reach for their goals but the thousands of people watching as well.