T H E G A R G O Y L E

Remembering 9/11

Back to Article
Back to Article

Remembering 9/11

Ellie Swigle, Journalist

Many, if not all students know about the tragedy that happened on September 11th, 2001, however close to none of us remember it, or were even alive. The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda against the United States on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. Four commercial airliners were hijacked and two of the four were crashed into the North and South towers in Manhattan, New York. The third plane was crashed into the Pentagon. The final plane, after being hijacked, was overtaken by the passengers aboard. The plane was driven off course and crashed into a rural area of Pennsylvania.

These events happened almost two decades ago but they still affect our lives today and that’s something that not all people who do not remember the attacks realize.

Immigration was seriously impacted by 9/11. The article How 9/11 changed America talks about the lasting impacts that we experience; “The agency has overseen a massive increase in deportations; they have nearly doubled since 9/11.” Some estimates say that ⅕ of our population is made of immigrants and their families. It is clearly evident that immigration impacts every aspect of our society from the economy to education and everything in between.  

Another major impact was the increased security. Many adults remember a time when airport security didn’t have metal detectors and your could walk your family straight to their gate. This however, is not the way not is now. Suitcases are checked methodically and shoes have to be removed. Many of us have never been on a flight where we didn’t have to wait in endless security lines and have to dump our water bottles before hand.

Because each passing year more and more kids are born who will not remember this important event in American history it is important to continue to talk about the impacts on our lives as teenagers.