Teachers Walk Out Against Low Funding

May 21, 2018

Recently, there has been been a lot of conversation around the topic of teacher funding and wages. Taking home an average of $61,420 a year, many people feel as if teachers aren’t getting paid enough; especially in Colorado, where the cost of living is drastically increasing each year. On April 26th and 27th, many schools cancelled their classes due to teacher protests.

On Friday, April 27th, a sea of red T-shirts worn by teachers, staff, and supporters of Colorado schools marched to the Capitol to protest the insignificant funding given to their schools and students. “Teachers are great writers of signs with wit and insight.” Mr. McClure, an art teacher here at south had said. “The rally was a moment to draw attention to the cause and risks of neglect in education.” For many, feelings of excitement and validation took over the crowd.   

Despite the low payment, many teachers decide to continue on with their jobs for various reasons. For some teachers, especially if they have been teaching for a long time, will have a harder time finding a job if they chose to leave the education field. For others, their love for teaching and their love for kids is enough reason for them to stay. “I love working with kids and I love the content that I teach. I get excited to talk about books and the connections in our daily lives.” Says Mr. Scheumann, who is in his fourth year teaching here at South. For others, such as Mr. McClure, it’s a mixture of both. “After having 24 years of service in the teaching industry it would be hard to find a job that pays the same.”

After the rally, many people believe they will finally be able to see the change they are looking for. “I think it’s a step in the right direction. It will take time but I think that we will see some positive change.” Mr. Schumann says. Although things may not change immediately for teachers and schools around the country, change is beginning to happen.