Un voyage en France!

April 25, 2018

Did you know that over this past spring break some of our Rebels took a 10 day trip to France? On Saturday, March 24th, we departed to France taking an 8 hours flight from Charlotte, North Carolina to Charles de Gaulle, Paris.

After we got some sleep, we took a boat ride on the Bateaux Mouches along the Seine river. This was a cool time to sit back and look at all of the amazing sights Paris has to offer. After the boat ride, we took the metro (the French subway) to the Eiffel Tower! At night, we got to see the entire city of Paris from the top of the tower. It was incredibly beautiful as Paris appears to go on forever!

The next morning we got up early to go to The Louvre. The Louvre is one of the biggest museums in the world and was full of different artifacts, beautiful paintings, and sculptures. I had the pleasure of seeing famous pieces like Winged Justice, Venus de Milo, and the Mona Lisa. After 3-4 hours of exploring, we boarded a train for Normandy.

In Normandy, we spent 5 days with a French family. During this time, we practiced our French, bonded with our host sisters/brothers, went to french school, and were fully immersed into French culture. At Lycee Senghor (a high school in Evreux, Normandy) we attended classes and enlightened others about the American life. It was a total blast as we got to experience France’s version of school lunches, electives, and school schedules. All of the kids who participated in the program were taking the same English class and by the end of the week we had a reception with all the families in the school cafeteria.This was one of the best times of my life and I think everyone that went on the trip would agree. Being able to spend time in a different culture and the established connections made with all of the people will probably last a lifetime.

On Saturday morning we headed back to Paris. We then went to the Musée d’Orsay to view art pieces by famous artists like Monet and van Gogh. A fun fact about this museum was that it was built in an old train station and it still features the original, beautiful clocks. Later that afternoon, we took the metro to Montmartre and visited the famous Basilica, went shopping, and experienced the local artistic scene. I even purchased many original art pieces that the street artists were selling at a discount rate to students!

The following morning was the last and we got up very early to take a train to the Palace of Versailles. The palace was the home to many french royals like Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI. The line was so long that even with us arriving early, it took 2 hours to get inside. The palace was huge and the gardens alone would have taken a whole day to get through. We did get to see the hall of mirrors, which was incredible considering that mirrors were not only expensive but hard to make in the 1600s.

Our final afternoon we spent in Paris was shopping at Galleries of Lafayette before having a final dinner together. It was such an amazing trip and one of the best times of my life. I would also like to thank Mrs. Weaver and Mr. Pabon for taking us on this trip and being the most amazing chaperons!