Don’t Get Lost in the Forest of Overpriced Dresses

April 24, 2018

Did you know that prom is actually short for promenade? Well it is and one might say that it’s a right of passage as well as a last opportunity for seniors to create some memories. Ladies, if you like to procrastinate, chances are you don’t have a prom dress yet. Here are some resources for affordable prom attire.  

Many popular department stores are a great place to start your search. However, sometimes they have many more options on their websites than they do in stores. Macy’s has over 300 dresses under $100 on their website while Dillard’s and Nordstrom both have over 800 dresses starting as low as $20.

Other online resources that are quite popular are Promgirl.com, Lulus.com, and Windsorstore.com. All of these sites have several different styles of dresses. Promgirl houses dresses ranging from short and strapless, to long and lavish. Lulus specializes in flowy dresses that are simple yet elegant all under $100. Windsorstore has a plethora of elegant ball gowns for anyone wishing to be a modern princess for a night. Make sure to always look at reviews of dresses that you like as sometimes reviewers include their measurements and pictures. This can help determine how the dress might look on you and how it looks in person rather than on the models who were photographed in perfect lighting.

Another thing to consider is is renting your dress. The site Renttherunway.com offers 20% off your first order if you make a free account. Additionally, there is a rent 1 and get 2 free promotion with the code PROM2018. They have dresses raging from long, form fitting, and sparkly to fit and flare, off the shoulder, and floral.

Lastly, if online shopping is simply too much risk, you can always see if any of your friends or relatives have any dresses that they would let you dance the night away in. Additionally, consignment stores may have a few options and if you’re super crafty, you could even try and personalize a dress and make it into your dream dress.

Prom is just over a week away so hurry and get your dresses if you haven’t already!