Black History Month: The Mistaught Story of the Black Community

March 23, 2018

February is the month to celebrate Black history and culture in the U.S.. It is celebrated nationwide through television specials, articles and stories, music, and many other ways. The history of Black people is rich enough to be celebrated every month of every year, but at least we were given a month. Right? As my research on the importance of this month began, I ran across some interesting articles. Some celebrating the many Black athletes, actresses, actors, singers, entertainers, etc., others covering the many speeches given during the duration of this month. Reading some and skimming others, I found almost all articles to be pointless. All of them missed the importance of the history of Blacks in America, and WHY this month is deemed Black HISTORY month. Learning about Michael Jordan, or Beyonce is not going to help my little brothers and sisters know anymore about their culture than BET or MTV. They didn’t teach me anything I didn’t learn from any of my aunties or other family and friends. The Black youth does not need to grow up thinking this month is used to celebrate just MLK or Abraham Lincoln, or the entertainers they see on TV or listen to on the radio.

This month needs to be used to educate Black youth just as much as it needs to be used to educate non Black folk, and Black adults. There needs to be speeches about the strong and amazing Black women who have gone through real life situations and have experienced things they can teach young Black women to avoid. There needs to be speeches by powerful Black men with opinions and game plans on how to make more outcomes for Black young men other than selling drugs or going to the league. Young Black boys and girls need to have a plan for their future and need to know that there is a place for them in the world. These lessons are mistaught to Black children, by both schooling and society. Schools always teach students to believe that they can grow up and be whoever they want to be which is a great principle and thought, however they know more than most that life for the Black child is a lot different than their colleagues at school, and that they are treated differently because of that by both the students and the faculty. Teachers hold the power to mold the minds of the youth, and how they choose to run their classrooms is within their power as well. The idea of slavery, along with the many ideas that come along with that, is one of the most mistaught topics in schools across the U.S. This is because the miseducation of Blacks has proven to be significant to the progression of the upper class in the past, and is still proving its significance. Public school programs across the U.S. fail to show ALL students the importance of Black culture and history. The amount of assemblies regarding BHM or any type of Black history lessons are scarce and few students say they learned from the assemblies if there school was fortunate enough to have that opportunity. Coming to a Denver Public School, especially one as diverse as South, I was highly disappointed to hear that this years MLK assembly was the first and I was also disappointed to see a stage with only 1 Black man present in a field of white. The assembly was not informing on actual issues faced by the Black community, and there were no solutions on how to progress. Progression and future success of our people needs to be one of the main thoughts in all young adults’ minds, but how are our future leaders going to lead our people to future success without knowing their correct history and identity? Without our youth being taught this they are going to grow up being brainwashed, and soon every Black child will be deprived of the gift of Black pride. The misuse of the month of february and the brainwashing of our youth in schools is going to end the influence of Black culture for future generations and form a fake culture assimilated by white americans to make young Black boys and girls believe their story is something different. In order for the progress we are told is happening to really start affecting our neighborhoods and our schools, then we need to take action in the information our children are being taught in school, as well as continue to progress in the social equality and social credit of our people. Everything starts within the schooling system, and the future of our neighborhoods depend on the outcome of our youth and their education.  So therefore the stress of teaching them about slavery no matter the difficulty must be taught, and taught correctly, along with the Civil War, Bacon’s Rebellion, colonization, Jim Crow, Reconstruction, the importance of Jim Crow before and after Reconstruction, etc.

This country would not be what it is today without the history of Black people that were brought to it. I believe that it is important to know our history to fully understand and examine the influence our culture has on the U.S. today. It is important that our youth does know that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, but if they don’t know the significance behind the message he signifies for Black culture and basketball culture, they will never understand what truly makes them special. The future of our people depends on this very point. There needs to be a change in the teachers of color in schools, and there needs to be a change of material that is taught and the WAY it is taught and perceived. Our youth needs to be a step forward and not a step in the same direction we’ve been pushed to go for years and years.