Gun Reform Now (Magnolia Mulqueen)
Gun Reform Now

Magnolia Mulqueen

Student Walk Outs Against Gun Violence

March 21, 2018

On March 14th, one month after 17 people lost their lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida due to gun violence, students across the country walked out of their schools for 17 minutes to stand up to the government and demand better gun regulations in the country. South High was one of these schools.  At 10:00am on the front lawn, hundreds of students rallied for 17 minutes to listen to students speak about the ongoing issue of gun violence in America, and to give one minute of silence to those who had lost their lives in last month’s tragedy.

Along with this protest, there will be others held in order to address the gun violence issue. On Saturday, March 24th, there will be a nation wide protest called “March for Our Lives”. In Colorado, this march will be taking place in 12 different cities: Denver, Longmont, two in Fort Collins, Steamboat Springs, Vail, Basalt, Crested Butte, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Colorado Springs, Durango, and Cortez. In Denver, the march will be starting at  200 E Colfax Ave at 2:00. To learn more about these marches, visit https://everytown.org/ .  On Friday, April 20th, the 18th anniversary of the shooting at Columbine high school, there will be a school walk out happening across the nation, this one being all day. At 10:00am local time, students will be walking out of school to protest the current gun laws.