The Flu Season

February 7, 2018

The flu is well known as a horrible virus, existing for 500+ years. The flu can be dangerous, having severe side effects and sometimes causing death. A flu shot is a form of prevention administered to most americans. But do these vaccines actually protect and prevent this virus? The vaccines, in both shot form and the nasal spray form, are the main combatants to the flu. They are easy to administer, and work well – preventing the virus.

Catching a cold is something much more different than catching the flu. The flu, although worsening in severity over recent years, is often confused with a cold. So noticing little side effects can help to differentiate the flu from the cold, to be able to treat the flu more effectively, and to prevent the flu from getting worse. There will be headaches but there will also be muscle pain. Coughing can be dry or with phlegm. Your body will get chills, dehydration, fatigue, fever, flushing, loss of appetite, body ache, or sweating. Other common symptoms of the flu include: chest discomfort, head congestions, nausea, shortness of breath, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, vomiting, and diarrhea. Most symptoms are found more in children than adults. Although you can help yourself fight off the flu with bed rest, throat lozenges, and cough medicine, if symptoms do worsen it is advisable to call or go to a doctor.

The flu this year has been more dangerous than expected – killing the young and old. 37 children have died in 2018 so far due to the flu. Since October 1st of 2017, More than 8,900 have been hospitalized. Flu shots are not always effective, but a flu shot is better than nothing.

The school nurse at Denver South High School explained “the students at South are getting sick mostly because of sharing drinks or not washing their hands after using the schools restrooms.” This causes the students to spread illnesses across the school. But she provides hope in saying “South has an amazing opportunity to have Denver Health available on school campus to keep the students healthy, giving flu shots to the students.” She recommends that students of South, to stay safe and healthy, get their flu shot.