South Wrestling Update

February 6, 2018

This weekend, female wrestlers from South traveled to Thornton High School and competed in the Girl’s State Tournament. The team brought 4 girls to face off against more than 200 girls from around the state to compete for the title of State Champ. Senior, Maritou Atore took 2nd place in the 182 pound weight class. Junior, Muni Tanko took 3rd in the 160 pound weight class. Despite the fact that they were unable to place, Junior Tia Karkos and Senior Feda Loglio competed in the tournament, each winning matches.

On the opposite side of town, South’s boy wrestlers  traveled to Denver West High School to compete in the DPS league tournament. All the teams they had competed against previously in the season were there prepared to go head to head. Eight of the boys placed in the tournament and found themselves on the podium. Max Daniels, a freshman, came in 1st place in the 113 division. Roberto Lopez (aka Cookie), also came in 1st in the 220 category.

The wrestling team is still looking forward to regionals, which is their last stop in their quest to qualify for the Varsity State Tournament. With the season coming to an end, the team has already had an amazing time together. Between climbing up the great Manitou Springs Incline and sledding down the treacherous Ruby Hill; a strong team bond and constant good vibes have been present from the start of their season.