Cultures of South

February 5, 2018

Being a student at South is a unique experience for many reasons. The most unique of those reasons is the many different cultures we get to learn about and adapt to everyday. Walking the halls of South is unlike any other high school and that is definitely something our students and faculty take pride in. To shed a spotlight on some of these different cultures, and what it truly means to belong to them, I interviewed two female students and asked them what it means to them to be the race they are.

Centoria Roberts, an AP student and varsity ball player, is a powerful voice among black girls at South. I asked Roberts about how her heritage has affected her interests, the disadvantages and advantages it has brought her in her high school career, and how it impacts those around her. Additionally, I asked her what she finds makes her and her family unique and what makes her proud to be a black woman. Roberts states that from a very early age, her mother has pushed her academically. “My mom got pregnant with me in college, and my mom is one of two people in my family to even go to college, so it’s pretty important that me and all of my cousins go to college and get a degree,” says Roberts. She states that being a black woman has personally motivated her to excel and to prove to others that she is very well deserving of her blessings. “Nobody is like us,” Roberts says about Black culture. Continuing on that she says, “Nobody understands what our culture or history means to us growing up or how it impacts us.” Overall, Centoria Roberts has been an eye opener as to what it means to be a role model student at South and what it means to embrace culture and mold your own future.

Continuing my search for strong women who embrace their culture, I came across Senior Estefania Anaya-Sanchez who told me a little about what her heritage means to her and her life as a student at South. Anaya-Sanchez, much like Roberts, states that her family’s background has a lot to do with her eagerness to succeed in school. “Both of my parents were born in Mexico and immigrated here to give me and my siblings a better life. They are the most hard working people I know,” Anaya-Sanchez states about her family’s history. “School has always been their number one priority to me and my siblings,” she adds. This has influenced Anaya-Sanchez to be an AP math and science student. Some of the aspects that make Anaya-Sanchez’s family unique is their togetherness and time spent together.  Anaya-Sanchez elaborates that, “Me and my family are always together at my uncle’s house watching horse racing, going to rodeo’s….I’m planning on staying in state for college because I could never be far from them!” Anaya-Sanchez concluded her interview by sharing how as a result of her Spanish speaking roots, many people judge her before getting to know her, even here at South. She expressed that she has dodged more judgmental bullets then she’d like to. Anaya-Sanchez’s story gives a glimpse into the issue that families from immigrants are facing in today’s society. We must all remember that behind those families are motivated students just like Estefania Anaya-Sanchez.