Healthy Relationships 101

December 4, 2017

We all know everyone’s favorite topic: love. It’s something amazing to feel and wonderful to be in, although that’s only if you are with the right person. Being with someone who makes you happy, respects your decisions, and who you feel comfortable with is important. Building trust and communication is key to a healthy relationship. Some other signs of healthy relationship include: trust, mutual respect, honesty, equality, good communication, and a sense of playfulness.

Relationships may cause stress at times or even sadness, but it really depends on what the situation is. Arguments and disagreements can happen but that is completely normal. But if anxiety, jealousy, depression, or even anger occur every day in a relationship, then you may be in an unhealthy relationship. It’s not healthy to be in a relationship where negativity is being spread physically and/or mentally.  Relationships are hard and might be a little messy sometimes, but you should never let yourself get pushed around all the time by your significant other.

There are early signs that can lead to an unhealthy, abusive relationship, and once you start noticing these signs, you can get help. These signs include: lack of communication, criticism, disengagement, passive aggressive behavior, inability to forgive, substance abuse, verbal abuse, physical abuse, loss of respect, little physical attention, dishonesty, jealousy, being sexually focused, threats of leaving, and most importantly trying to control you. Being with someone who only makes you feel bad about yourself or brings you pain (physically or emotionally) are important signs to keep an eye out for. That is when you should call and ask for help.

There are steps to follow before getting into any relationship. You first have to know who you are. This includes knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are, what brings you joy and what doesn’t, as well as what you want and need. Before you can be happy with someone else, you have to be happy with yourself. Lastly, you should not force a relationship. It is better to take your time and take it one step at a time to reach a happy and healthy relationship. When you are ready to be in a loving relationship, it will come naturally to you.