The Pumpkin Spice Apocalypse

October 11, 2017

Pumpkin spice has taken over the nation. As the seasons change so do the flavor profiles of food and beverages. Pumpkin spice items have increased in popularity ever since the release of Starbucks’ most popular seasonal beverage, the pumpkin spice latte. This beverage was first introduced back in 2003. However, the signature flavor did not gain significant popularity until the 2010’s. After that, companies started to produce pumpkin spice scented candles, air fresheners, and a wide variety of different food items. Given the clear obsession, I decided to embark on a pumpkin spice flavored adventure and take staff members of The Gargoyle along with me.

The first item we tested were Trader Joe’s Petite Pumpkin Spice Cookies which were shortbread cookies covered in a pumpkin spice, yogurt frosting along with orange and white sprinkles. These were by far the best reviewed pumpkin spice snack. Staff member Kyra Martinez said,“They are covered in sprinkles, why wouldn’t you love them?” 

Moving on, Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn was the item next sampled. Joining us momentarily on this journey was senior Kailey Silverberg who said that the caramel corn was, “a unique twist on a classic happy food.” even going as far to say that, “it’s [her] happy food.” While this item was delicious, there was not an overwhelming presence of the specialty flavor.

Trader Joe’s Pumpkin O’s were third on the list. At first, they tasted similar to a less sweet version of Honey Nut Cheerios with a hint of nutmeg. They turned out to be, “weird but good,” as described by  Mark Callahan. The more you ate, the better they got.

The fourth item was Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Almond Beverage. This item was far and away the least appetizing. 

Upon taking a sip, Hank Golding stated that, “It’s like someone took a pumpkin, mashed up some seeds, put some pumpkin zest in, got some dirt from their backyard, put it in a blender with some water, and spit that out. That’s about what that tastes like.” The negative reactions however, lead to us combine the Pumpkin O’s and this beverage to create the worst tasting bowl of cereal ever to be tasted by the Gargoyle staff, or possibly by anyone. Check out a video of our reactions to this concoction at https://youtu.be/BEDgmWD7Sbw or on our Instagram page @thesouthgargoyle.  

Next was another fan favorite, Pumpkin Spice Oreos. Everybody loves Oreos and this seasonal spin didn’t subtract from that love. Junior Adara Walker stated that, “They didn’t taste that different from regular Oreos.” While they tasted of pumpkin spice, the cookies were not overwhelmingly powerful in this odd flavor.  

Last but certainly not least was Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte. For the beverage that started this madness, I have to say it wasn’t too bad. On the other hand, One of our new journalists, Adriana Machura, commented that, “It makes [her] uncomfortable.” Expectantly, the latte tasted like pumpkin flavored coffee with hints of clove and cinnamon. If you find this combination of spices appetizing, this season drink may be your new obsession.

From popcorn to cookies, pumpkin spice flavored items have taken grocery stores shelves by storm. If you have an insatiable desire for this fall flavor, then head on over to Trader Joe’s where every aisle has at least one product that will satisfy your pumpkin spice needs.