Boys Soccer Update

October 11, 2017

The boys soccer season has a record of 3-4-2, They got off to a hot start of 3-0-2. The team has started league play at 1 win, 0 draws, and 3 losses. They fought hard in all three games but had unfortunate results in 2 of the games. They had a great game against George Washington, scoring 2-1 with the winning goal scored in extra time. The team has high hopes of making state but they will need to win out in the last half of the season. The guys are ready to play and show that this slump isn’t reflective of their ability.

The team is led by captains Mark Callahan and Alfredo Gonzales. Mark is a three year letterman and one of the leading defenders. Alfredo is one of the top forwards on the team. Together, they worked to improve the previous record of 4 and 11. The new coach, Bari Abuhamda, has lead the team to their best starting record since 2012. He implemented a new system that seems to be working well. The team started preseason practices at the start of the summer and their hard work is sure to pay off as their legs tire.

Their hardest games will be against Denver East and Kennedy High School. Our senior captain Mark Callahan stated about East that “The East game is one of the games we’re excited about”. East is currently is ranked #1 in the 5A division and has a record of 11-1-0, their loss coming against Kennedy. Kennedy is ranked  #3 in the 4A division with a record of 9-1-1. These are 2 tough games and the boys will need play wonderful game to beat both teams. The team has had a great season and hopefully can finish strong.