Hallelujah, the World is Ending!

October 13, 2017

May 21st 2011- The rapture will occur where all true Christians will ascend to heaven and a seven year war between Angels and the forces of Satan will start with earth as the battlefield.

December 21st 2012- The world will explode in volcanic eruptions.

September 23rd 2017- The world will end when Nibiru, otherwise known as Planet X, will collide with the earth destroying it.

These are just a handful of recent doomsday predictions. The earth is repeatedly predicted to end, most of the time with fire and brimstone. This seems as though it should remain absurd enough for most people to dismiss it. However, a large swath of the public  polarize around these predictions every couple of years, becoming frantic and obsessed. It has permeated into our culture. People spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on self titled “doomsday shelters.” Following the 2009 movie 2012 the world seemed on edge. It started slowly of course, but by December of 2012, the tension amongst my family and friends was palpable. People often made jokes rooted in fear. The 21st of December (a day the world was predicted to end) passed without incident, thankfully. But this situation highlighted an aspect of our collective unconscious. With our latching to, and societal belief, of a doomsday, do we believe it’s justified? People subconsciously subject others to the just world phenomena, the tendency for people to believe that people get what they deserve. In line with the just world phenomena, do people believe a doomsday is warranted?

We are reflective in nature. We constantly analyze our past experiences, in hopes of doing better holistically in the future. It’s not always conscious, but it is there. People thinking the world should go up in flames, as a way to pay for their past atrocities and injustices, is a logical explanation to the acceptance of a doomsday. Internally, we weigh our collective shortcomings, mistakes, and errors awful enough to experience hell on earth. Collectively, we think an apocalypse is justified.

The other avenue of thought is known as the Apocalyptic Worldview. When we face the truth, our world is going down, and us with it. Whether it be through nuclear war, an increase in titanic natural disasters, or another apocalyptic spectacle, humans seem sure something will cause the end. The mounting frustration with worldwide problems, mainly nuclear deterrence and mounting global warming, seem impossible to solve. This leaves one solution. Humans no longer deem themselves able to solve climate change, cure cancer, stop war etc., so we leave it to a higher power or event. Lorenzo DiTommaso, a professor of religion at Concordia University in Montreal, states, “Problems have become so big, with no solutions in sight, that we no longer see ourselves able as human beings to solve these problems,” He elaborates on ways in which a solution might occur. “From a biblical point of view, God is going to solve them. From other points of view, there has to be some sort of catastrophe.”

This comes down to the crux of it. We either see ourselves as deserving to perish in some sort of apocalyptic event, or see the only solution to our mounting problems as said event. So although we dread the end, we are standing here with open arms.