T H E G A R G O Y L E

Mile High Sports Flying High

Elizabeth Gutierrez-Gutierrez, Journalist

The Colorado Rockies:

In 2007, over the course of twenty-nine days in September and early October, the Rockies’ pitching and offense led them to the World Series against the Boston Red Sox.  They qualified for the postseason again in 2009 as a wild-card team, unfortunately, they lost the series to the Philadelphia Phillies 3-1. For eight years, Rockies’ fans have watched the team falter behind terrible pitching, injuries, and team management, destroying their postseason hopes.

The atmosphere was different in 2017. With new manager, Bud Black, the Rockies began the season on a better note. Young pitchers; Antonio Senzatela, Kyle Freeland,  German Marquez, Jonathan Gray, and Chad Bettis lead the team to first place up until the All-Star Game. The starting rotation threw at least seven innings of quality pitching. Third baseman, Nolan Arenado, and outfielder Charlie Blackmon have played quality offensive and defensive baseball throughout the entire season.

As the season comes to an end, the objective is a spot in the wild card game. They are currently within playoff scenario and possibly facing the Arizona Diamondbacks who are second in the National League West. With less than 20 games left of the season, the Rockies will have it tough as the Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals chase for a position in the Wild Card pennant. The bullpen has been able to regain its momentum with the sweep of division leaders, the L.A. Dodgers. The possibility of the postseason has many fans on their feet waiting to end the postseason drought.

Denver Broncos:

The Denver Broncos began their season on Monday, September 11 against the L.A. Chargers.

After a tough season last year, general manager, John Elway planned to improve a Broncos team that struggled without Peyton Manning’s leadership.  The running back position was one of many areas that they struggled in last season. During the preseason, the running backs averaged 4.6 yards per carry. The addition of Jamaal Charles from the Kansas City Chiefs hopes to electrify the team’s ground game.

During the off season, the offensive line also showed signs of improvement. For the most part, the offensive line kept the quarterback protected as opposed to last year when the guards could not get the air game going with constant quarterback hits. Coach Vance Joseph pointed out that the team play played well but they needed to improve third down conversions.

The Broncos will have one of the toughest seasons facing teams who had ten or more wins last year. They are currently ranked 16th according to the NFL. Denver fans are optimistic about the season, and another run for the super bowl.

Denver Nuggets:

The Denver Nuggets head into the season confident about their team and possible playoff run. With the acquisition of power forward, Paul Millsap from the Hawks, the Nuggets have fewer question regarding their team. Head Coach Michael Malone looks to improve the Denver Nuggets with centerpieces Millsap, Harris, Jokic, Wilson Chandler, and Will Barton.

Gary Harris missed the first half of the season with an injury. In the 25 games that Harris played the second half of the season, the team went 14-11, and averaging 17 points per game. If Harris and the Nuggets could display those stats during the entire season, the Nuggets could make a possible push to the playoffs.

Veteran players have a great impact on the team, but young players could also play a crucial role in the team’s success. Juancho Hernangomez, a Spanish National team player, is expected to contribute to the team’s possible success. The Nuggets also acquired Trey Lyles from the Utah Jazz, who they claim has offensive potential.